Finding a composting solution in NYC
Composting in the big city is easier than you think! New York City provides various options and resources to seamlessly incorporate composting into your daily routine. From the NYC Brown Bin program to the DSNY SMART Compost bins in public spaces and local micro haulers, composting in the city is simple and rewarding. Don’t forget that starting June 8th, 2023, New Yorkers must separate food waste from regular trash. By 2024, citywide composting will become mandatory. Don't let the urban setting deter you - join the composting movement and be part of the positive change happening across New York City!
Easy Composting in NYC
1. Brown Bins
The NYC Brown Bin program promotes composting and reduces landfill waste. It designates brown bins for organic waste like food scraps and yard waste. Exciting news! Citywide curbside composting is expanding, starting from October 2, 2023, in Brooklyn, followed by Bronx and Staten Island on March 25, 2024, and Manhattan on October 7, 2024. We're so excited to see the sustainable choices you'll make with your NYC Brown bin!
2. DSNY Smart Bins
DSNY SMART compost bins are a smart and innovative addition to the city's waste management system. Accessible through the NYC Compost app, these strategically placed orange bins can be found throughout New York City. They accept various compostable items like food scraps, plant waste, and food-soiled paper, making composting convenient for all New Yorkers.
3. Micro Haulers
Micro Haulers like Vokshi, BK ROT, and Ground Cycle are composting heroes, collecting organic waste on a smaller scale. They provide an alternative option for composting, especially in areas without curbside programs, by collecting food scraps and organic materials directly from households, community gardens, and local businesses. By engaging with them, you can responsibly dispose of organic waste and contribute to a greener future. Embrace these micro haulers and support their commitment to sustainability!
Tips and Tricks
If you're facing problems like odor, pests, and slimy bins while composting in a brown bin, don't worry! Here are some expert tips to address your concerns and make composting a breeze.
- Line your bins with newspaper and sprinkle baking soda on the lining to reduce odors.
- Create a mixture of tree oil and water, then spray it on your bins to tackle the odor problem effectively.
Pest and Slimy Bin Solutions
- NYC brown bins come with a secure latch lid to keep pests like squirrels, rats, and possums away.
- Place half a wine cork in your bin to minimize fruit flies around it.
- Lining your bins with newspaper helps maintain cleanliness.
- Consider using compostable and biodegradable bag linings to keep your bins mess-free.
- Clean your bins with a mixture of water and vinegar to prevent sliminess.
Be a Smart Composter
- Opt for a reusable sac to transport your organic waste to the nearest Smart Compost Bins.
Paper and compostable bags are convenient as they break down into compost.
In conclusion, composting doesn't have to be unpleasant or smelly. With these expert tips and tricks, you'll become a composting pro in no time! Happy composting!