10 Eco-Friendly Gifts for the Bookworm
This year has given many of us the opportunity to pause and take time to revisit the simple activities we enjoyed when we were younger. If you’re like us, one of those pastimes included settling in and getting lost in a good book.
If there’s someone in your life who enjoys reading or taking in as much information as the world has to offer, here are some gift ideas to consider.
Gift an eBook reader
Do you know someone who has an insatiable appetite for reading but has limited space in their home? A great gift could be an ebook reader so they can download unlimited books without worrying about cluttering their space.
Check out a list of eBook subscriptions here.
Try out an audiobook subscription
Perhaps the person you have in mind enjoys reading but might not be able to carve time out of their day to read a physical or digital book. Give the gift of an audiobook subscription like Libro.fm (they support local bookstores!) so they can enjoy their favorite reads while completing work or household tasks.
Keep it traditional with a good ol’ book
Some people enjoy collecting books and creating a library in their home. If you know someone in your life who is building their collection, consider buying a book through Bookshop, a certified B-Corp online bookstore whose mission is to support local, independent bookstores. And if one book isn’t enough, you can buy your loved ones a Book of the Month subscription!
We love using Goodreads to check out the latest favorite books by the community. Check out Commit to Green founder Shien-ru’s top five must-reads (we’ve shared Amazon links but encourage you to shop at your local bookstore or via Bookshop):
Give the gift of charitable giving
If you know someone who is passionate about giving back, consider making a donation (or volunteering when safe) to any of the following:
- your local, public library so they can continue their free programs, services, books, and offerings of digital collections and resources (ours is the beloved New York Public Library)
- the Little Free Library, a free library book-sharing global movement
- an organization committed to promoting literacy around the globe (this article has some great recommendations)
Additional gifts for book lovers (that aren’t books)
Does the bookworm in your life seem to have everything we’ve shared so far? Not to worry--we have a few more suggestions for the perfect gift:
- Lumio and a library-scented candle for when you want to gift the perfect light and ambiance for reading
- A custom-print of your loved one’s favorite reads from Ideal Bookshelf (as of 12/11 not available to ship by Christmas Eve)
- Hand-stamped upcycled spoon bookmark for the people in your life who can’t bear to dog-ear their pages
For more gift ideas check out our previous blog posts: